Anirud’s Status Report for 3/16

What did you personally accomplish this week? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

1. Ethics Assignment: Completing the detailed readings and answering the questions took approximately 4-5 hours.
  2. Last week, I initiated the basic layout for the PCB without routing the traces. This week brought several additions to the board, such as an op-amp and feedback resistors, enhancing the reading resolution. Initially, I planned to position some components on the bottom layer of the PCB to minimize physical and electromagnetic interference with the sensors. However, to avoid interference with the movement of the wireless charger, I relocated all parts to the top layer. During our team meeting, we reviewed the board’s schematic and layout with Professor Fedder. Post-discussion with Luca about various mounting methods, I dimensioned the PCB for attachment under the acrylic/wood surface. We decided to laser-cut indents in the material to accommodate protruding components, allowing the PCB’s surface to be flush with the material. The PCB will be secured in place using liquid glue. Attached are a few images of the completed board.

Here is also a link to the drive folder with the images since their resolution is really bad here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UKzUN_nZ_kdPh8fONkxHx-t0Cf490zzb?usp=sharing

1. Callum, Luca, and I dedicated time to perform distance characterization on the wireless charger we purchased. We tested its compatibility with various devices, including Android phones, iPhones, and wireless earbuds. Our approach involved placing layers of acrylic between the device and the charger to determine the maximum effective charging distance. Although results varied across devices, the charger’s performance exceeded our expectations and its advertised capabilities.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

I believe my progress is on schedule. Although certain team tasks are behind schedule due to factors beyond our control, we’ve discussed these challenges as a team and recalibrated our approach. This ensures that we will be back on track by the end of next week.

1. I aim to complete the sensor matrix polling code, in collaboration with Callum, by the end of next week.
  2. I need to acquire an Arduino Ammeter to measure the charge current. While this task appears straightforward, it’s crucial to verify that there are sufficient inputs available on the Arduino.
  3. I also plan to resolve how to manage the physical/mechanical aspects of the power cable for the charging coil, especially considering its movement on the gantry. It’s essential to ensure that the cables, both from this and other devices, do not become entangled as the gantry operates.
  4. Depending on when the ordered PCBs come in, I also want to complete the soldering of the through-hole components.