Luca’s Status Report for 3/09

What did you personally accomplish this week? Give files or photos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

Last week, we spent a lot of time working on the design review document. Aside from writing within the document, I spent a lot of time rendering some very nice images of our design with solidworks. Those images are contained within this drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1_GYA9Xxmdq5RgDXVgHwD4_M1uvIag3kI

Last week and this week, I’ve been dimensioning all the various parts that have arrived. While McMaster parts are very, very accurate to their included 3d models, the same can’t be said about Amazon. For example, the belt clamps are not two, but three times as thick as advertised. As a result, I had to fully re-design the lower middle of the stage just because of that one part. This has resulted in modifications being made to various other parts, which I won’t detail here.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

I think as a whole we are on pace, but I am behind on my personal goal of having all mechanical components assembled and printing started by spring break. This is due to errors with ordering, both on our side, and from other parties. For example, the linear slides, arguably one of the most important parts of the entire mechanical assembly, weren’t ordered for some reason. There’s no record of an order being placed in the system for either rail, but in our team’s purchase tracker, both were marked as ordered. Something went wrong, but I worked with Tamal to rectify this and make sure all other orders had in fact been placed. Effectively, this resulted in waiting two weeks for parts to arrive that we never ordered. They should be here by Monday once ECE Deliveries has re-opened.

Barring even more issues with part deliveries, I should have the stage fully assembled, all parts dimensioned, and 3D prints started by end of next week. This will be heavily determined by when the linear slides and filament are actually delivered, but they should both be here next week.