Samay Sahoo’s Status Report for April 27th, 2024

This week we made significant progress as I integrated a fully-functional motor and slider with our 3D printed components to actuate braille. First, I worked with Ziyu to assemble a final version of the 3D-printed braille cells, pins, mount, laser-cut gear & rack, sliders, and both motors. Upon assembling, the motor code required a lot debugging as I tried to recalibrate the motors for enough torque, speed, and precision. We also verified much better performance after connecting the motor driver chips to 12V power source. I worked with Yujun to solve these last few issues. I also received the final JST-like 4-wire connectors that has significantly cleaned up our wiring as we transition to cleaning up for final demo.

My progress is behind for this week as I had hoped to finalize homing motor code by now. I will make up for this prior to the upcoming, and final, week. In addition to this, I hope to be able to manage all the braille cells we are able to produce in the next few days, such that we will be able to display multiple braille characters, sequentially, as desired for our MVP and use-case requirements.