Ziyu Li’s Status Report for Feb 24th, 2024

This week I spent a lot of time in CAD software designing our new actuator.

Since we need to rapidly fabricate and test these actuators in different configurations (slider slope, material, lubricate method, form factor of actuator), great care is taken account to parameterize the design (which is both time consuming and rewording for me as a first timer).

One additional thing to emphasize in this report is the original source of this clever mechanism. During this week’s design presentation, I cited the original video from Ulmas Zoirov in the presenter’s note, but not on the slide itself, and this created unintentional confusion about the source of the idea. I apologize for this major oversight, and wanted to emphasize that this is Ulmas Zoirov’s idea, and we mainly want to iterate on this and engineer his vision in real life (since no physical device of this design is ever made, and we could not find further information on the future of his project).

For next week, I will be fabricating these CAD parts using resin 3D printers and experiment with the actuation by hand, to provide an initial feasibility analysis. I will also work on a much more formal and much more in depth design document.