Aaron’s Status Report for April 8

This week I worked on the integration of the Faraday’s law experiment and the web application. I worked with Shizhen to install and debug libm2k, which was not previously working. After some debugging, we were able to use ADALM’s oscilloscopes directly with a Python script. Shizhen and I then worked to parse the data from the scopy in real time, which uses both a script that uses a libm2k to process information from the ADALM, writing the info into a csv file. Then the CSV file is read from a Django views function called by the web app, so the data can be updated in real time.

I also worked with Shizhen to display the oscilloscope plots on the web app in real time, where we faced some challenges related to the smoothness of the animation, and we will continue to work on it next week.

Additionally, I spent some time polishing the web application. I debugged the exercises feature, and got exercises successfully working. I also made some user interface adjustments and functionality. Then, I updated the modules using the Educational Modules written up by Mudit before the demo.

I am pleased with our progress overall, and believe we are soon able to reach MVP. Next week I will work on smoothing out the animation from the display, and also integrate the web application with Mudit’s Ampere-Maxwell experiment. Then, I will see if I can add additional features to the web oscilloscope, such as adjusting the period. I will also add multiple difficulty levels for the educational modules to reach a wider audience.

For testing, we will ask Professor Chamanzar about what additional features can be added to the web application to aid E and M education, and will ask users with varying levels to test the web application and integrate their feedback. I will also work with some of my peers that have more experience with front end UX design to see how our web page can be made more professional, interactive and user friendly.