Aaron’s Status Report for February 11

This week, I worked on design and started implementation of the web application. Before any programming, I constructed a wireframe for how the HTML pages would be set up and how the content would be displayed: 

Then, I built the main foundations for the Django web app; I set up a local development folder (which I plan to upload to GitHub next week), and began a Django project. I added a few dummy HTML files based on my wire frame. I wrote a basic HTML file for base.html, which all other html files except for welcome.html will extend. I added URL connections for each web page. Additionally, I started brainstorming about what Models I would need to implement all the capabilities, initialized the SQLite database, and wrote a starter file for views.py. After I made sure the basic web pages were displaying and a user could navigate between “Welcome” and “Home”, I started looking into OAuth. I set up a google project and gained a secure key for OAuth for our project, and migrated OAuth into the project. For now, after clicking “Login as Admin”, it will ask the user to log in with a google account using OAuth. I have not yet implemented which google accounts will be recognized as admins yet, or what to do if a non-admin unsuccessfully tries to log in.  Next week, I plan to implement admin recognition, and build a few basic navigations for the educational modules and figure out how I want information on the page to be displayed and updated easily. I also want to set up the pages for each experiment, and add some educational information and touch up the front-end aspects of the web pages. I believe that I am on track, as I plan to finish the non-integration aspects of the web application within the next two weeks, and I got a good start on the foundations of the web application this week.