Vedant status report 04/23/2023

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project? Give files orphotos that demonstrate your progress. Prove to the reader that you put sufficient effort into the project over the course of the week (12+ hours).

This week a lot of time and effort was put into pivoting the implementation of the generative music model. After training a transformer model from scratch I quickly realized that given the time and resources I wouldn’t be able to get the results I need training a model from scratch. Following this I decided to use a pretrained model as a starting point and finetune that model for the different genres we presented in our use case requirements. I decided to use the pop music transformer (https://github.com/YatingMusic/remi) as a starting point and fine tune this model with files from the Lakh MIDI dataset segmented by genre.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

I feel that my progress is on track, using a pretrained model means that models would need far lesser training time which makes up for this pivot.

What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

Fine tune the model on the different datasets for the different genres.