Caroline’s Status Report for 2/18

This week, I primarily worked on the robot design and CAD model. I worked with Aditti to scope out the dimensions of the robot and the layout of the internal components. Then, I modeled the parts in Solidworks and created a layout for laser cutting the pieces. I also inspected the parts that arrived for our robot this week and made additional measurements to ensure that our hardware assembly goes smoothly. We now have most of the key parts needed to assemble our robot, and are just waiting on one of the gas sensors and a shield for the Arduino). We are on track to laser cut the pieces and have the main robot chassis assembled by next week. Next week, I will start testing the parts that arrived. In particular, it is important that we verify that the functionality of the motors and their compatibility with the rest of our systems.

This week, I did not have to apply any skills learned from ECE courses as I was mostly focused on robot construction. I learned CAD modeling from previous internships and the introductory mechanical engineering course.