Devank Status Report 18th March, 2023

This work my work was split into two parts. The first was toward the shot calculation system and the second was toward the ethics assignment.

For the former, I am now at a point where I am able to create a list of possible shots for every ball. The system is full able to map a line from the cue ball to the target ball and returns a 2d list of every one of these shots where the format of the list is as follows:

[[slope of line between cue ball to ball 1,y-intercept of  line between cue ball and ball 1],….]

The system also successfully detects if another ball is obstructing the path between these two balls and if so returns a default value of -1 for both these coordinates. I will have to look into other values since -1 is a valid slope and a valid y-intercept. Moreover, the system now is also able to create a line between the target ball and the pockets. This is represented in the same format as above and the same collision detection mechanism is used. It is a little buggy right now since I am not fully able to get the correct lines but the fix should not be too bad. The best pocket is also calculated for the ball by first creating a line between the target ball and the pockets, storing all non-obstructed shots and then finding the minimum slope difference between the new line and the line from the first list mentioned above. I am on tract to finish a preliminary shot calculation system by next week and my next steps towards the same are going to be fixing the set of second lines and image generation. I also need to finalize with Jimmy what the CV system is going to feed to me since right now I am assuming the entire pool table lies on the positive x-y plane with 0,0 being the bottom-left pocket of the pool table.

The second category of work was toward the ethics assignment. As part of a homework, we read two research papers on ethics in technology design and answered around 10 questions on the same.

I am not behind on my schedule to integrate everything either, The pool table has not been fully constructed since we did not know where to store the full system. Although I am going to finish that this week and then store it in one of the HH labs.