Sophia’s Status Report 04/29

This week, I spent a lot of time trying to refine our pen data so drawing lines would be more refined. Unfortunately, while there seems to be some semblance of direction being derived, we cannot seem to make the z-coordinates stop changing (due to under or over compensation of the force of gravity). Aside from trying different approaches of calculating position such as taking the average of acceleration rather than an instantaneous point of acceleration, none seem to work any better than the initial method of a Kalman filter with quaternion rotation and double integration. Because of this, I am leaning towards sticking to this method and trying to tinker with the calibration settings. Additionally, this week, I tried to finalize our board by soldering our Arduino and components to a PCB that was given to us. Unfortunately, the one we received was a touch too small, so I will likely be trying to find a larger one or purchase a new one that will hopefully arrive soon.

As of now, I am falling a little bit behind schedule as ideally now the hardware would be completely finished. However, I just mostly need to solder everything together at this point, which ideally shouldn’t take too long.

Next week, I will spend some more time writing our final report, creating our poster, and creating our video for demos. There will also be some time spent on soldering, but that should be a quick task.