Zhichun Zhao’s report for Apr.29

This week I continued to focus on the foot sensor. I doubt that the foot sensor has a stability problem that makes it unable to report whenever pressure is applied, so I consulted the professor after the lecture. Luckily, Professor Gary gave a very helpful suggestion: I change the calculation method and soldered all components together and the data seemed to report the pressure correctly. Attached below is a screenshot of the output of the pressure sensor.

For the next week right before the demo, I will meet with my teammate to connect the foot sensor with the website. We will also test the system one last time before the demo to make sure it works properly.

Team Status Report for April 29

This week, our team has been working on the foot device, visualizations, and algorithm for the back device. We are currently on schedule to be finished by next week. As stated in previous reports, our greatest risks involve the devices not working properly. To mitigate these risks, we have made sure to think carefully about the designs and tested the devices.

In terms of testing, our team has tested both the back device, foot device, and web app. For the back device, we did tests to ensure that the data we received was accurate and also did tests to make sure that the data sent to the web app matched the data sent from the Arduino. Initially, the values we had were different, however after looking over the code, we found and fixed the bug. We also created visualizations for each sensor and verified the results by comparing our generated visualization with our observations. Furthermore, to test the foot device, we placed different weights on the sensors and checked their resistance. While testing, we realized the weight threshold was too low, so we had to increase the resistance.

To test the entire system itself, we plan to wear both foot sensors and make sure that when applying equal or differentiating pressure, the read resistance values are equal to each other. In addition, we will continue testing the back devices and algorithm by wearing the back device and standing in different positions and then verifying the results match the feedback we want.

Jasmine Yew’s Status Report for April 29

This week, I worked on the algorithm of our app. I’ve decided that the only way our algorithm would work effectively would be if we had a calibration period, so I’ve implemented and added a calibration page to our app.

A general idea of our back device’s algorithm

I am currently on schedule and hope to have tested our algorithm by the end of this week while also working on the final poster and report.

Sydney’s Status Report for April 29

This week I mainly worked on figuring out how to turn our rudimentary visualization into something much cleaner looking using THREE.js. So far , I have not had much luck, as this is an area I have little to no experience in. I was eventually able to find a good example that I think I will model my code after. https://threejs.org/docs/scenes/bones-browser.html

The idea being that I will represent the spine as a cylinder, then have each quaternion apply a rotation to some points on that cylinder, such that we can see the bend / movement of the spine.

I also started to assist Rachel with the bluetooth this week. Unfortunately, I was not able to accomplish much due to other final projects being due, but I am hopeful that next week I will be able to realize my visualization goal. I am a bit behind schedule, as I was hoping to have the visualization done today, but I am confident that as my schedule clears up, I will definitely be able to get it done by early next week.

Team Status Report for April.22

This week, our team prepared for the final presentation together. We build the slides, and did experiments together to determine the data that we put on the slides.

Jasmine integrated Bluetooth into the tracking page and quaternion page and worked with Sydney to properly parse the data received into usable data for the quaternion generation. Jasmine aimed to have the algorithm fully done to determine back curvature because she has also been analyzing the data patterns when a back is bent.

Sydney finished implementing and testing the Bluetooth and tested to make sure that our device works with the battery. Sydney also got the visualization partially working on the website, as Jasmine was able to help her with transferring the data between pages. For the upcoming week, Sydney is going to continue refining the visualization and testing to make sure that it matches our expectations.

Zhichun revised the physical part of the back system, tested the circuit and collected the result, and organized them into a spreadsheet. She also worked on the final presentation with the data recorded from the device. Next week, she will focus on further testing and building the feet circuit.

Zhichun Zhao’s April 22

This week, I revised the physical part of the back system. I adjusted the battery pocket size to better fit the battery cord length and height. I also sewed the physical part of the feet sensor system together. At first, I designed a strap that fit both the leg and the bottom of the feet in order to accommodate the force sensor, the battery, and the Arduino nano chip. As I discussed this idea with my teammate, we found out that this idea might not be the easiest to use for users, so we changed the design to a strap that only has to wrap around the leg and have the users put the force sensor under their sole.

For the circuit part, I tested the circuit and collected the result, and organized them into a spread sheet. The table with results will be used in the final presentation.

My group mate and I also worked on the final presentation slides. Next week, I will focus on further testing and building the feet circuit.

Jasmine Yew’s Status Report for April 22

This week, I integrated Bluetooth into the tracking page and quaternion page. Now, we are able to start and stop the sensor tracking through the tracking page and store the data received from the Arduino in our database such that we can use them to create our visualizations on the quaternion page. I also worked with Sydney to properly parse the data received into usable data for the quaternion generation. I am slightly behind schedule because the algorithm is still being refined as we make changes to our data gathering. By next week, I should have the algorithm fully done to determine back curvature because I have also been analyzing the data patterns when a back is bent.

Sydney’s Status Report for April 22

This week I finished implementing and testing the bluetooth. We made sure that it read the correct data, and started/stopped reading data at the correct times(when the user starts / stops  a set). I also worked on our final presentation slides. I also tested to make sure that our device works with the battery(it does, yay!) and it  can run for at least an hour, which meets our battery life requirements. I also finally got the visualization partially working on the website, as Jasmine was able to help me with transfering the data between pages. A picture of a visualization of the orientation of a single sensor is shown below. My next steps will be to create a visualization that represents the entire spine well. Via testing Iw as able to confirm that the visualization displayed matches the physical orientation of the sensor.

I would consider myself on track to be done by the final demo. This coming week I am going to continue refining the visualization and testing to make sure that it matches our expectations.

Team Status Report for April.8

This week, our team’s work is on track. Jasmine worked on finalizing the tracking page and worked on the cloud deployment. Sydney worked on adding quaternion animation to the website to accomplish seeing the quaternions over different points in time visualize. Zhichun worked on building the circuit on the feet to enable pressure detection on both feet.

For the next week, Jasmine is going to finalize our algorithms for back detection by trying different inputs on the website to ensure nothing breaks. Sydney is going to work on the Bluetooth with the onboard quaternion processing with the new Arduino board and begin transmitting one characteristic of data to the web service. Zhichun is going to implement the code for the pressure sensor with Arduino. Our team will utilize the time over the spring carnival break to work on our project and make sure it stays on track.

Jasmine Yew’s Status Report for April 8

This week, I was able to deploy our web app on AWS and also finalize our tracking page. Our web page is now deployed on: http://18.119.127.55/

I am currently on schedule and next week hope to finalize our algorithms for back detection. In order to verify and validate the code, so far I have just been trying different inputs on the website to ensure nothing breaks. In the upcoming weeks, I hope to do further testing, specifically with the algorithms, by going to the gym with our device and ensuring the data and feedback we receive are correct. In addition, I hope to do usability testing with friends and peers to see how we can improve our web app’s user interface.