Edward’s Status Report for April 23

This week, I worked on the final project presentation as well as further improving the gesture to 3d model action algorithm. Anushka has been sick this week, so Joanne and I have been trying to finish up everything before the demo. I have been working on collecting more training data to retrain our SVM whenever an issue comes up. I think the current model is able to distinguish between one and two fingers pretty well. Some of the tricks I played to get the robustness up are: removing the noise label in the model (since it can get swipes and noise confused, and noise is easy to detect), and training on data where I just place my fingers and not move them or perform gestures.

I started collecting data for the testing section of our presentation. We discussed as a group how to determine our system’s accuracy, gesture precision, and latency.

I also worked with Joanne to cut the acrylic for our hologram, but the glue that techspark had looked really bad and tape would show up when under light, so we redesigned our hologram to use slots instead of adhesives. I am not the best at cutting, so I hope Anushka will get better so she can cut and help construct the hologram.

The gesture algorithm has proven to be much harder than we though, especially with just the two of us this week. Hopefully, next week we can have something demo-able. We are using up our slack weeks.