Edward’s Status Report for April 10

This week, we demo’ed our prototype to the instructor and TA. There was a small soldering mistake that I fixed before our demo, but our hardware should reliably work from now on. An issue we found in our setup is the connectivity. WiFi in the lab is pretty spotty and sometimes there will be pauses when data is being streamed. We hope this will not happen much in the UC when we demo, but I am not sure this will go away. I plan to talk to Tamal about this in the coming week.

Other than the demo, we also worked on hashing out a basic plan for the gesture detection and did further integration with Joanne’s Webapp.

We did not do much coding this week due to Carnival, but next week I will help Anushka code up our new gesture detection algorithm. We plan to have an new approach where if a new gesture is detected for n times, then we say that the current gesture is that new gesture.

We also decided to ditch the Jetson Nano due to poor WiFi performance, but Tamal said this should not be an issue, so I may chat with him about this in the coming week.

Possibly tomorrow, we also plan to attach our hardware to a wristband we bought. This will be done using tape or sewing.

We are on track if we work on and refine the gesture detection for the next two weeks. This is the toughest part of this project and it needs to work well for the project to function.