Anushka’s Status Report for 3/5

This week was definitely a busy week. Our goal was to make as much progress before Spring Break, as we aren’t able to work on the hardware side of our project over break. I began this week by going over what was needed for the design review document. I made notes on what I wanted to cover in the presentation, which we ultimately incorporated into the final paper.

I began working on the Jetson Nano again. I had a feeling that something was wrong with how I wrote the SD card, so I requested one from the professors on Wednesday to try. Once I rewrote, we tried connecting the Nano to the monitor but with no success. Edward suggested I try using minicom as an interface to see the Nano, and we were both able to successfully install and run the package, thus finally giving as an SSH-like way of accessing the Nano.

I added details in the design report, which included the gesture recognition algorithm and the hologram pyramid design choices. I know there were more things that I wanted to do with the report, especially in the gesture recognition side, and after we get our feedback, I plan on incorporating them into the paper along with my changes. This is more so for us so that we understand the reasoning behind our choices so that if they don’t work, we can eliminate options.

I feel like this is the first week I feel behind. With the sensors coming in on Monday, most of us leaving on Friday, and paper also due on Friday, I felt like there was not a lot of time to test the sensors and gauge whether our current algorithm works. The team talked to the professor about ideas on gesture recognition, and we were suggested machine learning to a) help identify zooming actions, and b) help with user calibration in the beginning. I’m not too familiar with models that can test given a stream of data, so I plan on talking to Professor Savvides about potential options. I would say the gesture algorithm is the biggest risk as this point as if it doesn’t work, we have to determine a machine learning model and train on a huge dataset that we would have to produce ourselves. I think this will be my main focus over the next two weeks so that we can test as soon as we come back from Spring Break.