This week I focused on doing research to prepare for the arrival of the Due and getting the MIDI implementation working at a base level. In my research on MIDI libraries for Arduino I discovered the Control Surface library, a library that acts as an abstraction for the MIDI interface and easily allows the Due to act as a MIDI USB device. Once the Due arrived I went right to work on getting the Control Surface library running on it. After some troubleshooting I was able to build a test circuit and was able to drive a software synthesizer using my hardware circuit! 

This means that I’m ahead of schedule, as I assume initially that this would take more time and wouldn’t be done until next week. This means I have time this next week to explore alternative library options and get more familiar with this library.

By the end of the week I hope to have written a lot of boilerplate code to drive our MIDI parameters. I will use pushbuttons and potentiometers to simulate the incoming data over I2C. If I can get that working in time I will begin writing test code on an Arduino Uno to test driving the MIDI device with data sent over I2C, which I anticipate will take a while to get up and running.

Harry’s Status Report for 2/19/2022
Tagged on: