Jason’s Status Report for 3/19

Over the past two weeks, on top of discussing the transition from Tornado to NodeJS for the implementation of our web application with the team, I mainly began to explore how we would be using AWS to service our application when we have achieved our basic implementation.

I did some research and found some tutorials in both website and video form on how to implement a multi-tier architecture on AWS, including what instances to use for different purposes. After setting up some basic connections between instances in the architecture, I started to send some test requests through these connections to check that they are functioning properly. While experimenting with the load balancer that AWS provides, I gained some insight into how it connects with the rest of the architecture and which values it monitors. I will be communicating these insights with Mitul to help with his implementation of our own load balancer.

In the coming week, I will be looking into how to set up a monitor node that receives and parses data from both the front end and the back end in order to gain a more comprehensive perspective on the performance of our load balancer.