Nakul’s Status Report for 2/26

This week I spent my time looking into the development of our web server. I had a meeting with my web application development professor, Jeff Eppinger. We spoke at length about 3 tier architectures as well as developing a video streaming server. From our conversation I found out that Django is mainly designed for HTTP requests and would not be an ideal design choice for the development of a video streaming server as Django Channels (Django’s framework for web sockets) is pretty hard to use and not that efficient.

As a group we discussed the potential of switching our backend server to another framework that is better suited for web sockets that would be required to stream video. We are currently in the process of researching different backend frameworks that would be ideal for running a video streaming server.

This coming week we are going to do further research into the 3 tier architecture and deploy a sample project on 3 tiers using AWS EC2 instances as we recently received our credits.