Fayyaz’s Status Report for 02/19

This past week, it was another stretch of researching different products to use, particularly which we wanted the CPU/brains of our project to be.  The keys aspects we needed were as followed. We wanted a strong enough processor to handle Lidar inputs and to run an object detection algorithm that provided an sufficient amount of frames that could be scanned and utilized in our kinematics algorithm while also cheap enough to fit in our budget. Through some research we found the Nvidia Jetson Nano seemed to be a clear front runner in the realm of micro processors that could handle multiple peripherals like a camera and Lidar, as well as any sort of object detection algorithm we decide to include. One of the articles we looked at is right here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/jetson-nano-features-price,38856.html

Through the ECE departments resources and inventory, we were able to reserve a Nvidia Jetson Nano and pick it up this previous Wednesday during lab time, thankfully allowing for no dollars spent on a key aspect of our project. After getting this, I intended to set up the board and flash it with is OS, but the developer kit did not include a microSD card, 5 volt 3 amp adapter, or USD to microSD  converter. Because of this, I had to put in another order and are currently waiting for the parts to fully setup the Jetson.

In the meantime, as Ethan was finalizing a Lidar to use, I was looking on how to setup the Lidar with the Jetson. I found this video online that uses the Nano as well as the hardware that Ethan was looking in to:

youtube.com/watch?v=-8VDYROG55U

Through this, I have a clear direction on what to do when the Jetson is fully setup and hope to do this early next week. With the ordering of the Jetson and other parts, we are on schedule.  I also looked in to different power supplies this week and hoped to order these soon. Some of the ideas that we discussed with Professor Saviddes included a Letacid Battery and LipoD cells as well as a portable charging pack.  Something along these lines