Samuel’s Status Report – 9 Apr 22

This week we successfully demoed an integrated, working system where a user could scan a fruit, and that fruit will be stored in a database and sent to the UI for modification and subsequent entry into the calendar.

I was very proud of the CV system’s robustness and smooth workflow as it was able to consistently scan different fruits under different environments and reasonable accuracy.

With basically an MVP already, we are definitely ahead of schedule but could add more features and improvements.

In particular, my next step is to collect more of our own data and train on it since the original dataset had no vegetables and obscure fruits. I spent most of the post-demo time this week collecting my own dataset. In fact, I collected over 800 images each for red peppers, yellow peppers and yellow squash, under various lighting conditions, positions, occlusions and shadows etc.

Examples of dataset images:

Next week, I will continue collecting dataset images on more vegetables like carrots, and begin work on making the hardware platform/stand for our integrated system. When the Jetson is ready, I will also begin work on that.