George’s Status Report for 2/19

This week I worked on rendering textures into the game. I am using a graphics programming textbook called “Learn OpenGL – Graphics Programming” by Joey de Vries, and I followed along with the chapter on textures this week. I’m using a library called stb that can read image files and place their data into a char array. The game currently loads a test image into the window:

Additionally, I worked on importing sound libraries into our game. However, I was running into some issues with this. I tried downloading and importing Simple and Fast Multimedia Library (SFML) and IrrKlang. It seems like both of these libraries are popular for sound in C++ video games. I am using CMake to compile our game, and for some reason CMake couldn’t link IrrKlang’s dynamic library on MacOS. I spent a few hours debugging this but I wasn’t able to get anything compiled into the game. I found another audio library called SoLoud, and I want to try using this instead.

For next week I want to focus on getting a small playable demo where notes fly down the screen towards the player. I originally had wanted to get font rendering working this week, but I think that for now I will focus on getting a playable demo with sounds. I want to start testing Shreya’s beat mapping algorithm in the game as soon as possible, and having a playable demo is necessary for this. I am a couple days behind schedule – I wanted to have more of the GUI completed before today.  Our current schedule supports a little wiggle room this week because our next task from 2/21-2/28 is just reviewing our final design and making little tweaks; these tweaks won’t take much time (i.e. near 9 hours), so I’ll have extra time to work on the GUI.