William’s Status Report for 4/30

This week, I was able to perform steps to integrate with Henry’s game engine. First of all, I solved some technical difficulties by finding a new library for the Madgwick Algorithm in python instead of C++, so that I could run the entire program in one Python process instead of worrying about running the bluetooth python script and the C++ sensor fusion processes in parallel. I tested the library and tuned the beta constant in that library so that the changes to the IMU orientation would reflect quickly enough. I also researched and found some code that removed the acceleration due to gravity from our IMU acceleration measurements, which allows for the acceleration data to be centered around 0 no matter what orientation the paddle is in.

Armed with those improvements, I was able to integrate my bluetooth functionality into the IMU program to connect with Henry’s game engine. We worked on tuning the thresholds for the paddle swing, including the thresholds for orientation and acceleration, as well as the amount of time we sample swing data over. After observing that data, we have found thresholds that work.

Next week, I will continue performing further tests on the integration, as well as work on the final report and the demo video.