Henry’s Status Report for 04/02

I started this week with the intention of integrating the Jetson into the game.  I spent a while first adding the Arduino Bluetooth library into our Unity code which should give us the ability for the Raspberry Pi and Jetson to send its data to the code.  However, this is where I ran into a few pretty big roadblocks.  The first one, is that when I was trying to connect to the Jetson, I realized that Logan had not set it up yet.  So, something that we have to work on next week is getting the Jetson’s OS set up and get the Bluetooth drivers and capabilities set up to see if it can connect with our game.  Another roadblock/uncertainty is whether the Arduino Library will work or not. The library is only compatible with certain Bluetooth modules, and I didn’t have anything to test with that had those modules.  The only testing I could really do was to see if my code would know if my Airpods were paired with my Mac or not, which it could.  So, on Monday, I am going to work with William to see if we can get the rPi connected.  If we can’t, I’m going to either have to buy a bluetooth module compatible with the Bluetooth library, or I have to write my own code using NET to connect with Bluetooth devices.

Because there were roadblocks with integrating devices into the game, I decided to refine my Unity code more.  The first thing I did was removing the GUI for determining whether we were running code as the server or as the client.  It’s unnecessary work for users and going to be extra work for us in the future since we would’ve had to add some VR pointing capabilities since our game doesn’t have a mouse and keyboard.  The second thing I did was getting the code ready for Raspberry Pi and Jetson inputs.  I added commented out code that sets the paddle location and orientation to these inputs and code that blocks until both pieces of data are received, so that the paddle input data is synchronized.

For my responsibilities, I am falling behind a little bit.  On the Gantt chart, it mentions that I have all of April to integrate the devices, but I want to have everything integrated a few weeks early so I can help out with other stuff we are behind on like building the paddle or adding spin to the game.  The goal to to get the Jetson and Raspberry Pi integrated into the system within the next two weeks.  That means that we can connect to both devices, send/receive data, and have this data be completely synchronized with low latency.