Henry’s Status Report for 2/19

This week I have finalized our team’s network communication implementation for our MVP.  Looking into bluetooth communications and Unity plugins for that, I decided that the latencies for paddle-headset and paddle-server communications are pretty unnoticeable.  I did some research into some helpful libraries and found that the Arduino Bluetooth Plugin from the Unity Asset Store is going to help make data transfers easier between headset and paddle and server to paddle since it provides fast bluetooth communications between rPis and Androids/iOS/Mac devices.  For camera-headset communications, there was a hitch because the camera sends paddle position data through a Jetson Nano, which doesn’t have built in bluetooth capabilities.  My solution to this was to buy a wifi card and antennae that will give the Jetson bluetooth capabilities.  I don’t think the plugin is compatible with the Jetson, so I will probably need to program the network communication from camera-headset by myself.

I would say that I am a little bit behind schedule because I need to still set up my Google Cardboard with the Unity Game Engine before I can implement the code for the network communication.  However, I think that I should be able to get caught up and back on schedule within the next two weeks since I project creating the MVP graphics shouldn’t take too long.  Next week, I want to be able to send data from an rPi to an Android and a Jetson to an Android.  If I have time, it would be great if I could get a quick start on the graphics.