Jackson’s Status Report for 3/13

This week I gave the design review presentation, and worked on code for recording, storing, and playing back audio on the web.

The design review process included writing detailed notes for myself with talking points for each slide, and after receiving the feedback, I’ve begun thinking about ideas for what to add to our design review paper, which is a main deliverable for this coming week. In particular, we were told that our requirements are not use case driven. When we drafted our requirements, I thought we just had to detail what the final product for the class would need in order to be considered successful, and I think we did that. However, after receiving our feedback, it seems I may have had a bit of a misunderstanding about what exactly counts as a requirement. I’m still not quite sure what exactly makes a requirement use case driven, so this will be a point to talk about in our meetings this week.

For our actual project, I finished code this week which uses the built-in Web Audio API to grab audio from any audio input on the computer (it even works with my USB interface!), record it in chunks using a JavaScript MediaRecorder object, store the recording with its own URL, and play it back to the user using an HTMLMediaElement object. To accomplish this I created an FSM-like structure to switch between three modes: STOPPED, RECORDING, and PLAYING.

My biggest deliverables for this week were the design review and a working recording interface, and since those are both done, I am on schedule. My deliverables for next week will be the design review paper and monitoring over websockets.