Jackson’s Status Report for 4/24

This week I did some debugging, integration with my team members’ contributions, as well as the ethics assignment and discussion. My duties (per our planned division of labor in the design review including all monitoring, websockets, peer-to-peer connections, recording and playback in browser, and corresponding server side views) are wrapping up, and everything I have left (driving down latency and packet loss below our threshold for viability) depends on cloud deployment. This is not a task assigned to me, but our original Gantt chart had it scheduled to be done by 3/11, so I may need to do that as well. Cloud deployment is absolutely necessary for our project, so if it’s not started very soon, I’ll plan to start on it before next week, though I’ve never done it successfully, so it may be difficult alone. I am now on schedule, but the group is still behind (especially with regards to cloud deployment), so I will try to pick up some of these tasks where I’m able.

Ivy and Christy have been working on uploading recorded audio to the Django server using a separate URL (/add_track/<room_code>). One consequence of this method is that the main group page establishes websocket connections using the /group/<room_code> URL. Thus, on every upload, the websocket connections I’ve been working on are broken. I tried a few approaches to fix this bug. First, I tried to change the websocket URL to just include the room code. This wasn’t working for some time, and I couldn’t figure out why (I spent more time than I’d like to admit on this), but finally I came across a stack overflow post which essentially said channels will only work if the websocket URL corresponds to the page URL. This approach wasn’t going to work unless I switched from channels to another websocket/server integration library, and channels has worked well for everything else so far, so I needed to find a new solution.

I was able to finally fix this bug with a very simple solution, which is just to redirect the add_track URL to the corresponding group URL immediately after storing the track in the database. As a result, websocket connections with the server are not actually maintained during the upload, but they are instantly and automatically reestablished after the upload. This solution is also cleaner since it ensures that the URL shown on the group page is always the /group/<room_code> URL.

This does however break the peer-to-peer connections, as the Javascript gets reloaded with each new page, but the user can reestablish the peer-to-peer connection with a button click. This isn’t hard to do by any means, but it may be annoying for users. I believe Ivy is looking into asynchronous uploads which shouldn’t involve a page reload, in which case no further integration is needed. If not though, I will look into better solutions this week that will not break the peer-to-peer connections.

Another separate bug I’ve noticed and not been able to fix yet is the way the server keeps track of which users are online/offline at any given moment. As it’s currently implemented, a user is marked online when they create their account or log in, and marked offline again when they log out. An obvious bug here is that users can (and often will) close the site without logging out. But Django doesn’t have a good way of knowing when this happens. The solution may end up being pretty complicated, and the one I have started on is sending websocket messages to all users in your group at regular intervals, just to signal “I’m online.” This seems easy enough, until you realize that the channel layer which the websockets operate on cannot change the database (this is to prevent issues with synchronization, since the database is changed synchronously and websockets are inherently asynchronous). I think we will have to remove the online/offline bit from the database entirely, and just keep track of that on each user’s browser separately. I will have this done by next week as a deliverable.

On a different note, I’ve been thinking a lot about the Langdon Winner article as it relates to our project. In my mind, our project is a solution to the problem of having to find a physical meeting place to practice and make recorded demos. An online meeting room is more convenient, especially now when so many ensembles and bands have members from all over the world, and perhaps more obviously it’s the safer option in a pandemic. But if a technology similar to our project were to become widely used and completely replace physical practice spaces for musicians, some problems could occur. Mainly, our project requires a very good internet connection, so a wide adaptation of our project could cause a large upward transfer of wealth to internet providers. Secondly, practice spaces often have things that musicians cannot keep in their living spaces (either due to cost or space constraints), like grand pianos, expensive microphones, sound treatment, etc. Without a physical practice space, musicians may be expected to have all of these things in their homes, which could again be more of a financial burden on the user than a convenience. At worst, this could drive people with less money or less space away from collaborative music entirely. Though I don’t think our work for an undergraduate class is going to cause any of this to happen, it has been interesting to think about as someone who is very fascinated by ethics and politics.