Jackson’s Status Report for 3/6

This week, I spent a lot of time looking into websockets and how they can be integrated with Django. I updated the server on our git repo to work with the “channels” library, a Python websockets interface for use with Django. This required changing the files to behave as an asynchronous server gateway interface (ASGI), rather than the default web server gateway interface (WSGI). The advantage this provides is that the musicians using our application can receive audio data from the server without having to send requests out at the same time. As a result, the latency can be lowered quite a bit.

Additionally, I worked pretty hard on our design review presentation (to be uploaded 3/7), which included a lot more research on the technologies we plan to use. In addition to research on websockets, I looked specifically at existing technology that does what we plan to do. One example is an application called SoundJack, which is essentially an app for voice calling with minimal latency. While it doesn’t deal with recording or editing at all, Ivy and I were able to talk to each other on SoundJack with latency around 60ms, far lower than we thought was possible. It does this by sending tiny packets (default is 512 samples) at a time using a peer-to-peer architecture.

We are still on schedule to finish in time. Per the updated Gantt chart, my main deliverable this week is a functional audio recording and playback interface on the web.