Txanton’s Status Report for 04/24/2021

This week we had our ethics discussion. I found the meeting to be pretty interesting as before I read the papers assigned I had a very different view of engineering ethics. Typically I thought of issues such as computer vision with biased/non-diverse data sets leading to discrimination, but after reading the papers it opened my eyes to more intentional ethical decisions such the parkways in New York.

Working on our project, I spent this week working on expanding the image overlay code. I started making it so that we can overlay a box after receiving an angle from the beamforming array. What I am doing to attempt this is by dividing the horizontal resolution by the horizontal field of view of the camera. This has been a little difficult to find as most manufacturers only provide the diagonal field of view. After performing this calculation I have an approximation for how many pixels correspond to 1 degree which I can use to then draw a box around that angle that was provided by the beamforming algorithm. Currently this is only in one dimension, however the process should be pretty easy to adjust to make it two dimensional once the antenna array has been formed that way. Since we are testing and I am remote I am not 100% up to date on the accuracy of the beamforming array so I currently have it placing a larger box around the calculated angle that corresponds to +/- 5 degrees in order to account for inaccuracy of the algorithm. The number of degrees for this box is also very easy to adjust so once I fully know the general accuracy of our array I can update that to correspond.

For next week I am going to continue to work with the rest of my team to update these values to make them more actually correspond with our measurements. I will also be doing some I/O in order to receive the angle from our beamforming algorithm as currently they are two separate things and I have been testing my angle based boxes using hard coded values and loops not actual data points. I will also update the code to use 2 angles to affect the box’s vertical size as well if we decide to make our array in that orientation.