Zixuan’s Status Report for 3/13/2021

This week I gave the design review presentation and worked on pose comparison. By getting the coordinates of the key points detected by OpenPose, I am able to compute the angles (R1, L1, R2… L4) between limbs as indicated on the image below.

We can compare the poses by computing the differences between the standard angles and the user’s angles. I tested it with some images and this comparison method worked well overall for front-view poses. For side-view poses, since some of the limbs are hidden behind the body, I skipped the undetected key points and only compared the valid angles. I will do more tests to see if some specific poses need to be handled separately.

I have been trying to figure out details about pose alignment. I also did some research on dynamic time warping, especially its implementation and use cases.

I think I am on schedule. Next week I will continue to work on the design report. I will also work on pose alignment, try to use/implement DTW to accommodate workouts at different speeds and test it with videos.