Accomplishments this week

1. Migration of the Web Application to AWS
  • I and Lily tried to migrate the web application to AWS. We encountered some problems regarding setting up the Apache server.
  • The website can now be hosted on an AWS server through Django, yet due to the Apache server issue, we have not yet been able to fully host it on AWS as a production site. We will continue to work on the deployment next week.
2. Changed TCP model between Web Application and Tracker Program to RestAPI model
  • After careful consideration, I decided to change the original TCP communication model between the web end and the tracker program to the communication channel through restAPI.
  • Originally, my tracker program acts as a server and waits for the web application to send the title and session information over. However, since it makes more sense to let the Django application act as the server as well. Thus, I deleted the TCP communication channel and replaced it with a restAPI channel.
  • Now, there is a FlipSession model with saves the user session details. Every user has a corresponding flipSession which is constructed upon and registration. The FlipSession model keeps a state which has two possible values: 1 for SESSION_START and 2 for SESSION_END. When the user has done selecting sheet music, his/her flipSession state will be changed to SESSION_START and the score_name field will be updated with the name of the selected score. Either when the user ends the session or when the user logs out, the state will be changed to SESSION_END.
  • The tracker asks for the FlipSession info through restAPI every 2 seconds. When the SESSION_START is set, the tracker gets the name of the sheet music from the JSON response from the web application and starts the matching session. When the SESSION_END is set, the tracker interrupts the running thread and waits for the next SESSION_START signal.
3. Updated CSS for the website; Added Hints on Each Page to Guide the Users.

Progress for schedule:

• A little behind schedule

Deliverables I hope to accomplish next week:

• continue deployment on  AWS