Neeti’s Status Report for 02/29

This week I worked on making a lot of the design choices for our project as well as the slides for the design review presention. I spent last weekend researching the different parts available to us and the pros and cons of each of these parts. I asked my father who has worked with RPis before, for input on which sensors to use as well as the necessity of a stepper motor hat. I looked into the specific stepper motor hat to use that would be compatible with the RPi 4 B as well as the specific stepper motor size and precision that we wanted. I did further research on the library and how to use the PWM controller class as well as the specific objects to create and methods to use. I looked at the link from the previous status report to decide what camera to use as the project application was similar and needed 8mp image quality as well. I created the hardware and software block diagrams to flesh out the details of how each of the hardware components would connect to one another as well as to concretize the software interfaces.

Gauri and I also worked on finishing the slides last weekend by further doing research on OpenCV, pyGame, establishing TCP connection between RPis and justifications for each of our part choices. Shrutika, Gauri and I then worked together to finalize the new schedule and our new approach for processing audio sensor data.

On Monday, we ordered all of the parts we decided on and did some further research on the microphones we want to use, as the ones we had initially thought of did not have good reviews. Shrutika and I also came up with some testing metrics and steps for our project as well as some of the risk factors to consider. On Tuesday, I practiced the design review presentation in front of Gauri and a couple of friends.

This week we also watched all the E and C teams’ design review presentations and submitted our peer reviews!