Alex’s Status Report 3/22

Alex’s Status Report 3/22

This week, aside from meetings with my team and refactoring the project and the statement of work, I personally primarily worked on getting the Server component up and running. We requested AWS credits which I used to provision an EC2 instance, associated with a file backend also hosted by AWS. I set up my SSH access to the machine, and also a GitHub repo which will be used to store our work and deploy to the server. I did some more research into the inner workings of ROS/Cartographer, specifically the data and control flow. I am most interested in the data structure that Cartographer uses to store their maps, as that will influence our own storage system, backend, and filetype.

Next week, I plan to get a basic backend operational and testable. This will include a file transfer protocol and basic frontend (which is being worked on Shanel, although her computer bricked). I also plan to work together with Aditi and Shanel to flesh out our path planning algorithm and SLAM integration.

My biggest concern at this point is that the initial work period where we are beginning to create actual modules will be complicated by remote. If we can communicate well through this period, and get to a point in the workflow where we can work in parallel with clear expectations, I am confident we can accomplish our rescoped project.