Mia Han’s Status Report 3/21/2020

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project?

After hearing that we are no longer returning to campus and moving to virtual classes, I paused what I was working on, because I was uncertain where our project would be moving from there; I spent the remainder of spring break working on homework assignments that I knew would not be affected by moving virtually online.  Once we regrouped on Wednesday as a team and with our professor + TA, I began shifting my focus from working on the convolutional codes + Viterbi to restructuring our project and new project proposal.  We really liked the idea of comparing several FEC’s, turbo codes, and LDPC to determine which one best fits CubeRover’s hardware constraints.  Therefore, I spent most of this week deciding which error detection and correction algorithms would be prioritized for GPIO/SPI and finishing up Viterbi + convolutional codes; I also researched the pro’s and con’s of those various algorithms more thoroughly.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

I believe our progress is definitely behind; already using this week to restructure our project, I believe that we are behind turning our project around and implementing a slightly different version of the project in the next seven weeks.  Additionally, I didn’t accomplish as much work as I would like over spring break, putting me more behind than I was originally expecting; I spent more time brushing up on C/C++ and fully understanding the nuances of convolutional codes + Viterbi than I was originally expecting.

To catch up to project schedule, I believe that I will be able to spend more time on the project, since the quarantine in my town is stricter and there’s literally nothing else to do besides stay home.  Additionally, I spent some time next week worrying about and cancelling future plans; therefore, I feel that getting into the school work grind will begin this week.

What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

I hope to

1. Finish and test convolutional codes + Viterbi implementation
  2. Fully understand and start writing the Turbo Codes implementation