Sam Adams’s Status Report for 2/22/20

What did you personally accomplish this week on the project?

This week I focused on finalizing the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) that we will be using for communication over Wifi. I was able to settle on a simplified version of the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP). Using some code I had written previously I was able to write a very basic python program to mimic the protocol I decided to design.

Some of these decisions that were made are outlined here.

I also spent a lot of time meeting with my team in order to finalize the APIs. We also spent a lot of time making general design decisions concerning the layout of our system.

Is your progress on schedule or behind? If you are behind, what actions will be taken to catch up to the project schedule?

My progress now seems to be on schedule again. Looking on the Gantt Chart I am right on schedule in terms of the design and I was hoping to get ahead on the implementation of the UDP protocol over WiFi. Even though I haven’t started the final implementation of this protocol on the MCU, I was able to write a preliminary test protocol that will be very useful down the road when implementing this protocol.

Looking forward into next week, a lot of my time will be put into creating the final design doc for the project. I think this will end up putting me a little bit behind schedule so I might have to do some overtime next weekend in order to stay caught up on the implementation stage. I feel that getting a prototype done early will be huge for the parts that I am working on as I’m guessing that optimization will be the most time intensive part.

What deliverables do you hope to complete in the next week?

Next week I will be focusing on getting the design document finalized and completed. This will include the consideration of any criticism that we received during the design presentation.

I also want to start playing around with the MCUs that were shipped in this week to see if we can get some basic communication going.