Vanessa’s Status 4/6

Vanessa’s Status 4/6

This week I worked on fixing bugs of performance score evaluator. Because we had our demo on Monday, we met earlier to have a run through. One of our problems was that I wasn’t able to compare two files with different bpm. Thus, just for the demo, I manually calculated the bpm of our LED matrix and set Garageband’s bpm before recording the user performance. Moreover, while testing before the demo, I realized that there was another bug in my evaluator; there was a edge case where the original notes get skipped until the end of the list while comparing the two lists after user misses a note. I bounded the index for the original notes list to prevent this edge case.

After the demo, I’ve been searching for ways to convert milliseconds to bpm. Because all the sheet music on Musescore use quarter notes as beats, 60,000/(one beat in milliseconds) should be the corresponding bpm. However, this equation didn’t perfectly work, which I think is because of the internal running time of the other parts of the function. I think it is impossible to find this unknown delay of the function (because each sheet music has different number of notes), so I am now searching for a software that can analyze bpm of the given MIDI file. Along with this, I am also looking for another software that can replace Garageband (which doesn’t allow me to extract MIDI files). Until now, the best option is Ableton Live, which I can use 30 days for free; thus, I will test if I can extract MIDI files and/or detect bpm of a recording next week.

We are currently on schedule, we will continue working on our parts separately, mainly fixing bugs.