Weekly Status Report – (3/30) Neeraj

This week I worked on face preprocessing code, modifying the alignment and cropping code to improve the preprocessing of the face and get only the face and with no background. I added more functions to the general preprocessing class and we have integrated it with the facial recognition. There was also a performance error last week that was causing the integrated face alignment code to run very slowly. I fixed the performance error and now the preprocessing is nearly instantaneous. I also changed the code so that all training images are preprocessed at the start as opposed to one by one. For testing, we will test images as they are sent for recognition, i.e. one-by-one. This code has been commited to the repository,

I worked with the camera and we deemed that it is not ideal for what we want as it requires making http requests and we wanted a direct stream to opencv. Omar has ordered a 1080p USB camera that we will be using. We feel that it should be suitable for our project purposes since our test conditions involve a small number of people sitting in one row.

I am behind schedule but since work in other classes has relatively freed up now, I will be dedicating much more time to capstone work. In the coming week I will be working to improve the facial recognition performance following our demo. Currently my code uses dlib face detection and that will be replaced with Kevan’s face detection which will be modified in the coming week. I will also be starting work on hand-raise detection next week.