Joshna Status 12/02/2023

This week was mostly just adding final touches and doing last debugging. I successfully soldered a latch switch to the rpi so that depending on if it is pressed or not, the printer will print either uncontracted or contracted braille. I also implemented a query system to test against the database. There is an obvious time tradeoff and we are leaning towards the original database but in order to use queries, we just need to change one global variable on the main page so it’s really convenient.

We also visited LAMP on Friday and got to talk to 4 visually impaired people specifically about our product and others in general. We learned a lot more about what they use and how they feel about our product and I’m pretty happy with the ease of use! I was also able to learn some things that helped me with testing.

One of the biggest things in this final week is proving through testing that we achieved the results we wanted. I was struggling with finding a way to prove that the braille translations are accurate using just technology but one of the people at LAMP told me of an app called braille blaster so I have been generating random strings, printing it like dots on my screen, copying it into braille blaster, and comparing the two.

I have also been running speed tests mostly to compare the query and database, but since the database has no speed issues after the initial loading of the website, it is definitely our best option. The last testing I did was webscrape 100 popular products from websites that compile this data and testing to see what our database returns whether it’s accurate recipes, inaccurate recipes, accurate websites from google, or inaccurate websites from google.