Iris’s Status Report for 10/31

This week was a lot of debugging and time spent in the ECE lab. I spend about 12 hours on Thursday in the lab trying to fix package compatibility issues and trying to download the right OpenCV/Tensorflow packages.  I was trying to use these OpenCV trained models for the mask detection algorithm which was running fine on the computer which I was testing it on, but it seems to be slowing the Jetson Nano considerably down to really low FPS, to the point where its unusable. I dug deeper and found that the package I’m using, DNN, doesn’t take advantage of the GPU and only uses the CPU, which takes a very long time since we are not utilizing CUDA. I restarted my algorithm and got a very basic iteration working, but its very low accuracy since the classifiers aren’t as strong. I will look into it more this week.

I am slightly behind schedule but as mentioned, I will be working on it a lot more. I aim to have a working ~75% accuracy face+mask algorithm + temperature sensing by the demo week. I will be moving onto the temperature sensor too this week.