Kobe Individual Report 3/16

This week I worked a lot with our camera and our ROS-Isaac environment. In the beginning I focused on interfacing with our usb connected stereo camera. I found which video input channels gave us the visuals and depth and then I tried to utilize GStreamer to create a video pipeline for Yolov8 detection. After consulting with professors that have used GStreamer before, I decided to instead switch to a v4l2 supported opencv method where I create a callback to capture image frames at a certain frequency and then publish it to the topic. I decided to create a separate package for the camera image publishing in our ros environment to modularize our system more and also allow us to use C++ for a speedup. After learning how the USB camera interfacing works I’ve converted it to a C++ node to communicate on the images topic with the Yolov8 node. 

Our progress is admittedly behind due to the fact that we went down various paths to figure out the best way for us to setup our system. While we are behind we have plans to catch back up by pivoting on some design choices. By next week I hope to have our jetson’s ros environment designed with various nodes for our subsystems and I hope to have our object detection fully working.