Arnav’s Status Report for 4/6

This week, I put a lot of effort into combining the backend and frontend parts of our project, focusing especially on adding EEG data to the frontend for the interim demo. I also looked for new ways to make our app look better and be more user-friendly by trying out different React UI component libraries. 

I worked with Rohan on integrating real-time EEG data visualization into our frontend. We created an interactive pie chart that differentiates between moments of focus and distraction, offering users a visually engaging way to understand their focus levels.

For the new UI, I looked at various React UI component libraries including Chakra UI, Material UI, and React Bootstrap. Among them, Chakra UI stood out because it is easy to use and made our app look much better. I revamped the homepage with images and descriptions of the emotive headset and camera. These enhancements help describe the technology behind the focus-tracking app, providing users with clear insights into how the system works to monitor their focus levels. Below is the new-looking homepage:

Regarding the testing/verification for my subsystem, I focused on ensuring seamless communication between our Django backend and React frontend. First, I worked on API Response Testing by sending numerous requests to our backend every minute, aiming to simulate how a user would interact with the app. This was crucial for verifying that data from the EEG headset and camera was being processed quickly and accurately. My target was for our backend to handle these requests in under a second, ensuring users experienced no noticeable delays. Next, I tested the UI Responsiveness. I wanted to make sure that as soon as our backend processed new data, our frontend would immediately reflect these updates (in under 500 milliseconds) without any need for users to manually refresh their browsers. Both tests were successfully completed and I will work on continuing to test other parts of the integration over the next week. 

Overall, I am on schedule and next week I will continue to work on enhancing the frontend for the rest of the pages and make sure that it engages the audience for the final demo. The backend integration is already complete and I will continue to test it further to ensure it is fully accurate and meets the requirements stated in our design report.