Yuma’s Status Report for 3/9

Accomplishments This Week

The main (biggest) part of this week was the design review report. I was in charge of sections 6-9, but ended up helping and rewriting a lot of the stuff in all the other sections. I also fabricated many diagrams that would be put into this report. I think it was a very insightful experience, as trying to explain design choices led me to question my design, sometimes resulting in design changes. It also helped that our design review presentation received constructive criticism, some of which we took in to our design.

One example of a change in design is the temperature sensor. One feedback we received was about the correlation of temperature and “how fast an item expiration goes.” Although it is out of the 12 week project scope to implement some ML algorithm to detect expiration date changes, we decided to install a temperature sensor to our main module. This way we can at least categorize the storage space to be cool/hot and make ROUGH expiration date changes.

Project Schedule and Progress

I did not expect the design review report to take this long. I also did not want to work over spring break, as I was traveling with friends abroad. Therefore, we are behind schedule. I will also be visiting my parents in Philadelphia this coming week as they are being released from the hospital, though I hope to work asynchronously with my teammates.

Goals for the Next Week
I hope to start writing code to integrate the barcode and scanner modules into the main framework. I hope to also tweak the base design based on the design changes we made during the design review process.