Siyuan’s Status Report for 2/17

Accomplishments This Week

The second week of our project focused on the practical aspects of integrating a barcode scanner with the Raspberry Pi. The key accomplishments include:

Hardware Setup and Testing: Upon receiving the Raspberry Pi and the barcode scanner, I immediately set up the hardware to test its functionality. This involved connecting the barcode scanner via USB to the Raspberry Pi and conducting initial tests to ensure it was operational and capable of scanning barcodes accurately.

Data Output Understanding: I invested time in understanding how the barcode scanner outputs data through USB.

API Research for Product Information: To enrich the data obtained from scanning barcodes, I researched various APIs capable of providing detailed product information. After evaluating several options, I decided to utilize upcitemdb’s API, which offers extensive data, including an item’s name and brand, based on the barcode scanned.

Project Schedule and Progress

I am pleased to report that the project is progressing on schedule.

Goals for the Next Week

The objectives for the next week include:

API Integration: I plan to fully integrate upcitemdb’s API with a Python script running on the Raspberry Pi. This involves developing the code to send barcode data to the API and retrieve product information, ensuring a seamless and efficient process.

Feature Development: With the API integration underway, I will start developing additional features to enhance the usability of our system. This includes implementing user-friendly interfaces for displaying product information and possibly starting work on inventory management functionalities.