Andrew’s Status Report for March 30, 2024

This week was again integration and refining the cue stick detection module. For the integration, I merged our primary backend (CV detection, physics engine, etc) with the Flask server that streams the video frames to our frontend. Getting this to work was a little bit tricky, since the frames have to be streamed in real-time to the frontend. For the initial demo, I changed the cue stick detection module to use polygon approximation to detect the end of the cue stick and identify two points which represent the stick. It is not 100% accurate, but is serviceable for the demo. There were alternate ways to implement this; however, most of them were not consistent or do not detect the cue stick often enough for it to be real-time. Also, since we last discussed being able to do ball spin, I implemented a basic selection system on the frontend which lets the user select the kind of shot they want to take with various spin types.

This week I am on schedule. We are wrapping up the MVP of our project and will be ready to show at the interim demo. In the coming week, I hope to demo the project on Monday and continue to improve the cue stick detection. I’m also aiming to improve the frontend UI and incorporate spin into the backend.