Debrina’s Status Report for March 9, 2024

This week (the week prior to Spring break) I was able to stay on schedule. I was able to conduct tests of the object detection models we have implemented on a live video feed of the pool table. Although we have not yet set up the permanent camera position on our pool table setup, the video feed on which the object detection model was run was able to detect the balls and pockets of the pool table quite accurately. I did some tweaking of the thresholds used in our models (such as the thresholds used in Canny edge detection and Hough line transforms) in order to make our models more accurate for the specific lighting conditions of our setup. The main focus for this week was completing the Design Review Report. I wrote the Introduction, Use Case Requirements, Design Requirements, Related Work, and Summary. 

Initially, I had planned to implement the classification model for solid and striped balls this week. However, I decided to postpone it in order to focus on conducting tests and improving the models on a live video feed. Hence, in the coming week I will be working on the solids and stripes detection. Furthermore, I hope to set up a permanent mount and position for the camera. This would allow me to also finalize the wall detection models. Lastly, I will work on updating the APIs of the object detection models based on the new API designs that we had made this week (we had revamped the API design of our system to make integration more seamless).

Testing the ball detection model on a live video feed (prior to calibration)