Andrew’s Status Report for March 09, 2024

This week consisted of: refining the cue stick system, creating the local application, and testing the projector output system. When I began building the cue stick system, I realized that the Arduino Nano was redundant since the ESP32 acts as a microcontroller just augmented with WiFi/Bluetooth. The first version of this module utilized only the Arduino Nano and was wired. Because this was a lot easier to set up, I built the V1 of our cue stick system with just the Arduino Nano to test functionality. Once I verified it was working, I replaced the Arduino Nano with the ESP32 module. It works by acting as a server accessible through WiFi on a specified localhost port. When endpoints “/accel”, “/gyro” are queried, I construct an HTTP request containing accelerometer and gyroscope data respectively.

This leads into the local application. I built a first version of the webapp using React/Flask. The Flask backend acts as a sort of lightweight storage for the webapp. It routinely polls the ESP32 module fetching recent gyroscope and accelerometer data. It stores it in a local SQLite database and returns paginated data to the React frontend when requested. I initially created this Flask backend because I didn’t think WiFi speeds were fast enough to accommodate how much data we were going to receive per few milliseconds/seconds. However, just by running back-of-the-envelope calculations on typical WiFi router speeds, it might be possible to do away with the entire backend and poll the ESP32 module directly actually. Though an argument to be made for keeping the backend is to eventually integrate it with the physics engine, in which we would need storage or more complex behavior. I also tested the projection system and had to modify the coloring scheme. It turns out the projector is too weak in well-lit environments, so you have to use only black and white in the projection to have enough contrast to be clear and visible.

My progress this week is on-schedule. For next week, I hope to flesh out the webapp more by building an intuitive, user-friendly display for the accelerometer, gyroscope data for the web application. I’m also integrating the camera feed to the web application.