Lisa Xiong’s Status Report For 2/11/2023

Personal Accomplishment

I mainly focused on doing research on the sound shield and speech processing system this week to prepare for our upcoming design presentation.

Since the height of our microphone will accommodate customers both standing and in wheelchairs, our system will require a wide sound shield with an adjustable mic stand. I have found some suitable options on Amazon and plan to discuss with my teammates before purchasing one.

We plan to use Python as the programming language for our speech recognition system, since it is both compatible with natural language processing libraries — such as spaCy and Stanza — and has an open-source speech recognition library. For speech recognition, I found the python SpeechRecognition library, which works with external microphones. For natural language processing, although the tokenization accuracy of Spacy and Stanza are similar after some experiment, we decided to proceed with spaCy since it is faster and has more documentation for us to learn the functions.

About Schedule

Since we have scheduled two weeks for preliminary research (i.e. to be completed by 2/19/2023, the due date for our design presentation), I am on track with our schedule.

Plans for Next Week

I will purchase the sound shield, mic stand and microphone by the end of next week to make sure they arrive in time for our hardware assembly. As the deadline for design review is approaching, I will also work with my teammates to finalize our system design, and make slides for the presentation.