Shiyi Zhang’s Status Report for 03/25/2023

Personal Accomplishments

This week, I’ve been working on a few different things for our project. Firstly, I’ve been downloading the necessary packages and test-running the parts that we’ve completed so far. In addition to this, I’ve also been working on connecting our microphone to the Pi.

One particular challenge I encountered was with downloading the en_core_web_sm package under Spacy. Although I had no trouble downloading Spacy itself, downloading this specific package was unsuccessful. It turned out that it was looking for a variable in a system-level C file, which was undefined on the 32-bit Raspberry Pi OS we were using. I tried installing a different OS, the 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS, but unfortunately, that didn’t work either. After spending a day searching online for a solution, I came across a modified version of the 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS created by an online user that might do the trick. I installed it, and thankfully it worked.

I was unable to connect our Neat Bumblebee II microphone to the Pi due to its power and audio data transmission requirements, which require a single USB-C to USB-A cable. Unfortunately, the Pi’s only USB-C port is reserved for power supply and does not support audio data transmission. Additionally, the USB-A ports on the Pi do not support power delivery (PD). As an alternative solution, I tried connecting a Bluetooth wireless headphone with a built-in microphone to the Pi. While the Pi was able to detect the headphone, it did not recognize it as an audio device. That means it may require a driver to get it recognized. My next task for the upcoming week will be to troubleshoot this issue.

On schedule

Yes, my progress is on schedule.

Next week

This weekend, my top priority will be to find a solution to connect our Neat Bumblebee II microphone to the Pi or identify an alternative microphone that is compatible. Once the microphone is set up, I will focus on creating additional pages for the frontend. As we have decided not to ask customers to state all of the items they want to order in one sentence, I will work on creating a page where customers state one item at a time.