Lisa Xiong’s Status Report For 3/25/2023

Personal Accomplishments

After some unit testing of the integrated speech recognition, NLP and database subsystems, I implemented more features to my NLP system based on the results.

The first new feature is the checkout process. When a keyword (“check out”) is detected, the checkout function written by Nina will be called so that the order is uploaded to the database and sent to the kitchen side. This is achieved by adding a phrase matcher to the NLP system.

The second new feature is the detection of menu items with quantifiers. Previously, the NLP system was unable to recognize user input with quantifiers, such as “a cup of coffee”. I added another set of patterns to the dependency parsers so that the phrase structure with quantifiers can be processed as normal input.

Another feature I implemented is the removal of all mentioned items if the user does not specify the quantity in an item-deleting situation. When the user input is “no hamburgers”, all hamburgers in the existing order will be removed.

I am on track with our updated schedule (described in detail in the team status report).

Plans for Next Week

I will keep revising the NLP system based on testing results, and work on improving the noise reduction abilities of our microphone. Some new NLP features I plan to add are the handling of order confirmation keywords, and the situation when the quantity is in a different part of the sentence than the menu item. (eg. “I want some coffee, um, 2 please.”)