Lisa Xiong’s Status Report For 3/18/2023

Personal Accomplishments

I collaborated with Nina to finish our NLP and database integration this week. The output of my NLP algorithm can now feed directly into the database to be an Order object. I started writing the speech recognition code with Nina and the system is able to convert user input into text in near real-time. The speech recognition system is still weak on noise reduction (as described in Nina’s status report) and speech conversion speed, which we plan to improve soon. I also fixed some bugs in my NLP algorithm while making it account for more use cases, such as when a user orders and then deletes an item in the same sentence. Another change I made in the NLP is that when we cannot detect the quantity of a menu item in the sentence, we will default it to 1.

I am on track with our schedule this week, for the NLP and database integration is almost finished and the speech recognition work has started.

Plans for Next Week

I will continue to work with Nina to improve our NLP and database integration, and tune the speech recognition to our microphone so that it can convert user speech faster and more accurately. If I have enough time left, the integration between speech recognition and NLP systems will be the next task I am going to work on.