Gary Qin’s Weekly Status Report for 2/11

This Wednesday, I delivered the project proposal presentation to the Section C cohorts. Over the course of this week, I spent roughly 7 hours preparing and practicing for the presentation, and I devoted another 6 hours or so working with my teammates on designing and laying out the specific details around certain areas of the project such as the overall scheduling of the project and hardware requirements (camera resolution, lens angle, and connectivity to backend software).

Given that we allocated this week (Week 4) to delivering the presentation as well as researching about hardware (specific type of camera to use) and CV libraries, we are right on schedule. While the presentation did not lead to an extensive period of Q&A, we were able to identify certain areas of improvement during the process of brainstorming, designing, and presenting the project proposal. While we thought our presentation was an improvement over the abstract in that we were able to specify our design in terms of the type of technology we are going to use and the overall workflow of the project, I was able to further specify our project over the week. Instead of only estimating the number of people in a room, we decided to add a prediction feature that will allow user to input a time and a room to preview the occupancy prediction of the room at that specific time in terms of categories: “almost empty”, “not busy”, “busy”, and “almost full”.

In the coming week, we will continue to follow our schedule and try to get ahead of it come the end of next week. Specifically, I will be focusing on creating a web-based application locally using HTML and CSS. I will also do research on the potential challenges we may face when integrating our hardware and backend with the frontend web app.

One of the use cases of occupancy estimation, as reflected on the New York MTA mobile app.
One of the use cases of occupancy estimation, as reflected on the New York MTA mobile app. Our project idea certainly has a high demand as well as a variety of use cases.