Tianzhuo Li’s Weekly Status Report for 2/11

This week, I am mostly doing research on how are we going to use a computer vision library to achieve object detection and tracking for our project. I have looked at various resources online including videos and articles about Object Detection and Tracking. A very promising option I found is by using the OpenCV library in conjuction with pretrained object detection models such as YOLO, which is relatively fast (specific FPS requires testing, which is what I’m trying to do next) and it is trained on the COCO dataset which could be used to identify common objects including people, which is the only thing that we primarily would try to identify in videos in our project. OpenCV offers algorithms for object tracking which could be used in conjunction with the object detection algorithm. The next steps are to try using these libraries I found on test video clips, ideally in an online environment such as google colab. In the mean time, after last Wednesday’s presentation, Professor Kim expressed concerns about our project not having a clear identity/product. We will try to define our project requirements more clearly before our meeting with the Professor and TA on Monday to try to finalize our project so our work won’t be wasted.